Author Topic: Discriminator equipment  (Read 5151 times)

John

• View Profile
Discriminator equipment
« on: 22 Feb 2014, 00:28:41 »
Hi,

I have a Shipmate RS8100 and I'm preparing to order the parts to modify my radio with a discriminator.  However, I have some questions.

What kind of wire is being used to create the pigtail?  The pictures from the discrimator.nl website appear to show some sort of coaxial cable, what would be an appropriate kind (as there seems to be multiple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coax)).  I have purchased some 95 Ohm RG-180 coaxial cable.  I selected RG-180 because it has a smaller diameter than than 50 Ohm RG-58 and might make it easier to run outside the enclosure.  Will RG-180 meet the wiring requirements?

What kind of connector is used to create the pigtail?  From the pictures it appears to be a female, 3.5mm audio connector, but again, there are a number of different kinds of female audio connectors with two to four connections (mono, stereo, etc...).  I purchased a 3.5mm female audio connector with two connections (mono).  Will it meet the wiring requirements?

Thanks in advance for constructive advice!

Discriminator

• Administrator
  • Top Member
    • View Profile
Re: Discriminator equipment
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2014, 08:15:14 »
What kind of wire is being used to create the pigtail?  The pictures from the discrimator.nl website appear to show some sort of coaxial cable, what would be an appropriate kind (as there seems to be multiple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coax)).  I have purchased some 95 Ohm RG-180 coaxial cable.  I selected RG-180 because it has a smaller diameter than than 50 Ohm RG-58 and might make it easier to run outside the enclosure.  Will RG-180 meet the wiring requirements?

I use thin shielded audio (microphone) wire, but coaxial cable is fine as well.

What kind of connector is used to create the pigtail?  From the pictures it appears to be a female, 3.5mm audio connector, but again, there are a number of different kinds of female audio connectors with two to four connections (mono, stereo, etc...).  I purchased a 3.5mm female audio connector with two connections (mono).  Will it meet the wiring requirements?

That's mentioned in the text: a cinch connector. However, 3.5 mm mono audio connectors are fine as well. You can even leave out this connector altogether and use a longer cable to connect the radio directly to your PC's sound card.

So: just use what's convenient, easily available or have in your junk box.

-Rene

John

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2014, 19:02:14 »
Thank you for your clarifications.  Unfortunately, I don't have much of a junk box, and have had to purchase most of the items.  I think "cinch connector" must be a European colloquialism as an eBay search for "cinch connector" yields nothing that looks like the one's pictured on discriminator.nl.

Thanks again.

Discriminator

• Administrator
  • Top Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2014, 20:57:40 »
I think "cinch connector" must be a European colloquialism as an eBay search for "cinch connector" yields nothing that looks like the one's pictured on discriminator.nl.

I think in the US, a cinch connector  is more widely known as RCA Connector. Will add this colloquialism to my website at the next update.

-Rene